“Mind over matter: The first step in making the decision. Why mind over matter? In my view, it starts with the mind. You have to get your mind-set right then the logistics will happen. Putting your mind over matter is critical in the success of Decluttering. It’s the process of getting through and having the motivation to work through it.”
With over a decade of experience as a Property Makeover and Change Specialist, Belinda has spent many years helping transform homes and lives. You will find all aspects of Downsizing covered by Belinda in this podcast, “Declutter Challenge 1: Make the Decision (Mind Over Matter)” including Q&A asked by seniors in a friendly, relaxed environment, your home!
Make the Decision: Mind Over Matter
- Think back about your life experiences, many hard ones
- This always starts with the heart, then the head, then the matter
- There are challenges when you start, such as environmental distractions i.e. friends/family/opinions
- The Central point is YOU.
- Think about a blank floorplan vision – questions for you…
- What would make you happy? bedrooms/quilting room etc etc
Make the Decision: Fitting into the New Space
- “What do I do with all my stuff?!”
- Step 1: Imagine your new home – just done.
- Step 2: Once you have drawn that space, the next step is work out what are your most favourite items and how they will fit into your new plan.
- What do you see – too much? too little? For now, you will see what we are aiming at.
- Here is an example of a completed floor plan with some appropriately sized furniture.
Make the Decision: Don’t Throw My Memories Away
- Real Memories are more valuable than things – don’t throw them away! Think of ways you can remember. Memories could be: A great date in a dress, A birth, A loss, Travel and the list goes on and on…
- Treasure them and enjoy looking through your things as you work! Think of more space saving ways of savouring those memories….
- There may be societies or groups who may love some of your old things. Examples are – Councils love old photographs of streets, Archives, Libraries, Collectors. The lists go on…
Mind Over Matter: The Real Meaning of Value
- “How much do I love you?” That is the question I want you to ask yourself as you work through your calendar of decluttering!
- Every item you see in your chosen room should be asked a question….
- “Do I love you enough to put you on my new floor plan and 1. Pack you, 2. Wrap you, 3. Box you up, 4. carry you downstairs, upstairs, up the road, in the truck, to the next place… then 5. Unpack you and 6. be with my most treasured items at my next new home?”
- Value does not equal = $$
Top Tips in Declutter Challenge 1 and Further Questions
- Set yourself as the #1 in the process – what is safe and healthy for YOU.
- Dream and sketch a floorplan of your desired space
- Decide on your most loved items and the effort to bring them
- Please note the real meaning of value. It is NOT what you paid for it, but how much you love it and your positive memories that come along with it.
- Declutter challenge homework: 1. READ book, 2. SKETCH your desired plan and 3. list your identified key items to keep
Missed the previous workshop?
Rightsize Your Home ONLINE COURSE
Part 2: The Declutter Challenge – Planning and Getting ‘Stuck In’ to Your Family Home Declutter
Are you feeling overwhelmed about the task ahead? Sorting through your things can stir up mixed emotions from the past and you may not feel ready to ‘let go’.
Rightsize Your Home Part 2: The Declutter Challenge helps future downsizers you learn how to move through the process in the right manner, so you can get the job done. This course will show the way with clear, straight forward steps.
As you make progress, you will begin to notice how much better you feel. This is the ultimate motivator to keep you going!